Friday, November 27, 2009

Holden Turkey Trot 5K

This Thanksgiving I signed up to run in the 6th Annual Wachusett Fitness Turkey Trot 5-K in Holden, MA. Having recently gotten back into running road races, I'd been browsing Cool Running for some local races, and happened to stumble across this race, in our hometown!

The race was scheduled to start at 8am. I arrived about 25 mins early, stretched and talked with a couple of the other runners. Eventually, we were ushered toward the start line for some pre-race announcements (Advice for the organizers: Get a louder speaker system! It was nearly impossible to hear over the drone of 500+ runners waiting to go :)).

And we were off! The out and back course ran down Main St. Holden. The turnaround point was just past the state police barracks. This route features some small rolling hills. I think I ran pretty fast out of the gate, and was feeling fairly strong at the mid-point.



The way back was a bit hillier than I thought it would be heading out, and I started to feel weaker during the 3rd mile. However, I was pretty excited to see my official finishing line:

189 286 Monty, Adam M32 Jefferson, MA 25:52

This averages out to about an 8:25 mile. This is a much faster time than anything I have previously been able to maintain, and has really helped keep this running bug alive!

Looking forward to my next road race, the Hot Chocolate 5-K in Northampton, MA, on Dec. 5th.

Also looking forward to another adventure tomorrow. If it is not raining terribly, I am targeting a 1/2 marathon distance for my Saturday long run.

I'll keep you posted.

Run, run, run...

No comments:

Post a Comment