Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bay State Marathon Training, Week 1 Recap

Two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on the Bay State Marathon. This race, touted as the flattest in New England, takes place on October 17th. Count backwards, carry the one, break out your calculator app or abacus. You'll come to the profound realization that last week was my first training week for said event.

I'm actually going to follow Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program. I may alter the Wednesday workouts to incorporate more speed play, but for now I'm just settling back into the groove of getting the runs in during the morning on the weekdays. So without further delay, here we go.

Total Miles: 20
Long Run: 8.11 miles

My schedule is basically T/W/R runs, with Wednesday runs alternating between moderate pace and race pace runs. The Wednesday runs are typically the "medium" distance runs as well.

Last week, I smoked the Wednesday run, pace wise. According to the MacMillan pace calculator, my equivalent marathon pace (based on the most recent time at VCB 1/2) is: 3:54:14, or an 08:57 pace. On Wednesday, I ran closer to an 08:30 over 5 miles, which I was pretty pleased with.

The other runs last week, including the 8-miler on Saturday, were at right around the 9:00 mark. I feel fantastic that I am getting faster with my "comfortable" pace.

On Sunday, for a little bit of cross training, I went to a nearby court and shot hoops for about 90 minutes. It was a bit more like speed drills though, as I found myself running up and down the court and stopping for pull up jumpers and such. I worked up quite a sweat, and felt like a kid doing it.

So its Tuesday, which means I've started another week of training. Got my three miles in early today, which was fantastic. Got 5 and then 3 and then 9 on Saturday. And I'm definitely going to find time to get in some more hoops!

So far so good. Until next time: run, run, run!

No comments:

Post a Comment