Monday, October 11, 2010

Smuttynose and Taper Time

Well, here we are, less than a week to Bay State. It's been a busy couple of weeks since my 20 mile training run. My last two training runs were the Smuttynose Half Marathon and a nice and easy 8 miler this past weekend. I'm trying hard to rest during this maddening taper time leading up to the race...

Smuttynose

This year, I had the honor and privilege of running with my friend Bill (Fishadad) during his first half-marathon. He's been on a personal journey to lose 50lbs and run that distance during this calendar year. I am psyched to have been a small part of this journey!

On race day, there was a Dailymile meetup. I got to see some friends I'd previously met, and put faces to many other Dailymilers. Here's a shot of the crew, before the race -



The race itself was great. Bill's target was right around 10:30, which was a perfect relaxed pace for me. In actuality, he outperformed his goal most of the race. He had to dig deep in the last couple of miles, but he pulled it off in right around 2:16. Congratulations to him on a great first half marathon outing!

We met a couple of other DM/Twitter friends along the course, and after the race, we made our way back to finish line to cheer on Luau and Oblinkin as they both chased the holy grail of distance running - the elusive BQ. It was awesome to be there to see these guys achieve their goals.

As an added bonus, my brother Jim (the ironman) came up and ran the race. He set a new mark for me to shoot for in the half-marathon, finishing in 1:48:42, besting my PR by almost 3 minutes. Gives me a nice new goal at the 1/2 distance. I aim to do the same for him at Bay State.

It was a great day to run, to see old and new friends, and to enjoy our reward for racing -



Taper

After Smuttynose, I looked at the schedule and realized I was headed for the dreaded taper. I had an 8 mile run on Saturday, which was gorgeous. Perfect clear, crisp weather, and the leaves are really starting to change around here...



I took it easy, but kept drifting toward m-pace. I was really comfortable anywhere between 9:04-9:30, between high zone 2, low zone 3. Tried to think about resting and relaxing during this last week. After the run, I attended a wedding, where I had a chance to rock some VFFs...



Who says you can't rock a tux and KSOs?

That was Saturday. Since then I've just been trying to stay off my feet. I downloaded Spirit of the Marathon which I watched yesterday, while reading everyone's updates from the Chicago Marathon. It's really motivational, and I'll probably watch it a few more times before Sunday.

Speaking of Sunday, I summarized my goals the other day on Twitter. They are as follows -

  1. Have fun and finish. Hopefully, finish strong
  2. Try to stick to a sub-4:00 pace (9:04ish)
  3. A couple of years ago, my brothers ran the Cape Code marathon, and had a finishing time of 4:39. I'd like to beat this, so that they have something to shoot for next time they decide to train for 26.2

The most important, to me, is to just go out and have a great time. It should be nice weather, and I'm familiar with the course. I've put in the training, logged the miles, dragged my butt out of bed at ungodly hours and run through wind, rain, heat, and my own self-doubts.

To borrow a phrase from my buddy Doug - "I've already done it. Now it’s time to take my victory lap. Time to go get it."

Until next time, run well brothers and sisters.

8 comments:

  1. Nice! Best of luck with the marathon. I LOVE that first sip of beer after a race. I ran a few in Boston sponsored by Harpoon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you on Sunday Brother! Run with the wind at your back and your hair on fire! Wish I could be there to cheer you in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Luau! I will remember the "hair on fire" bit at about 25 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, just realized you had a blog, I like it!!! Mike C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom and I will be cheering you on in spirit my friend - check out my you tube channel for a little dose of inspiration and something to keep you occupied while you taper - www.youtube.com/marysunshine100 - smile. You are an inspiration and you know the greatest blessing is when we can turn around and encourage those on their health and fitness journey -- thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam, you'll be carrying me with you in spirit. I wish I could be there to cheer you on, but I'll be working OT at the station. I can't wait to hear how you did and to read your race report! In the meantime another movie I found was EXCELLENT motivation was "St. Ralph." Great movie, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug - thanks man. I know that I'll have a ton of "virtual support". It'll be something that I think about when I have to dig deep in that last 10k. Thanks for the movie recommendation, too. Added it to my Netflix Instant Queue. Gonna check it out this week.

    ReplyDelete