Tuesday, December 28, 2010

50 Days

"To be great, one does not have to be mad, but definitely it helps." – Percy Cerutty

This morning was no different than any other this winter. I put on my cold weather running gear and hit the road. Today's forecast: high teens with a "feels like" temperature of 1F. Wind gusts between 20-30 mph. Snow on the ground. The only distinction that can be made about this day is that is the 50th consecutive day that I have gone for a run.

Why? I don't know How did it start? An accident. I joined a challenge on Daily Mile when there were 15 days until Thanksgiving. The challenge was to run 15 miles in the 15 days, but I misread it as "run at least a mile each of the 15 days". I realized my mistake after 6-7 days but figured "what the heck" and decided to go for the 15. On day 13, I ran a PR for 5 miles. On day 17 I beat my Holden Turkey Trot course time by 30 seconds. On day 27 I broke my 5k PR. On day 31 I celebrated my 34th birthday, in the best physical shape of my life.

The Numbers

I wore the Garmin for every run during this stretch, so here are the numbers as recorded by the 310XT.



Distance233.53mi
Time38:53:35
Elevation Gain11,557 ft
Avg Speed6.0mph
Avg HR150
Calories29,448
Max Avg HR175


I've burned almost 8 1/2 pounds, and climbed the equivalent of nearly two trips up Mt. Washington.

Over the last 50 days, I've noticed some improvements. My zone 2 runs are getting a bit faster, and my speed is starting to pick up on tempo runs and intervals. I've been able to bust out a sub-8 pace on the tail end of most of progression runs I've gone on.

Habit

It has been said that after 21-30 days of doing something, it's a habit. After 50, it's automatic. I roll out of bed and drift to the running gear, almost without a conscious thought. Some mornings I'm not even awake until the frigid winter air hits my face. I used to day dream about being able to get up and go for 3 miles every morning. Seems like that dream has become a reality.

I don't really have a goal in mind. I can't say when I'll stop running each day. But I do know that every time I get out there, I'm glad that I did.

Whatever you can do,
Or think you can, begin it.
Boldness has power, and genius,
And magic in it.
- Goethe

2 comments: