Monday, March 14, 2011

Week In Review

Last week was a bit of a tough one. Still hit by the stomach bug I encountered on the morning of Stu's 30k, I struggled to get out for a sore streak preserver of one mile on Monday. Still sore on Tuesday, I met Rebecca for five miles. Wednesday we tackled some hills and Thursday was another nice five miler with warmer weather and less soreness. Friday, I ran a pensive mile after seeing the news from Japan.

Saturday, I was scheduled to run with Rebecca. Her Boston training 19 miler. But the stomach bug had hit me again with a vengeance on Friday night, and I had to postpone it. I was able to get for only a short test run. Spent the rest of the day resting.

Sunday, I went out with Rebecca for her 19 miler. Lots of walk breaks for me during this run, which is fine. I feel like I need to mentally prepare myself, now, for what I'm sure will be many walking breaks while training for and running VT50 later this year. My stomach felt fine during the 19, and afterwards, I met up with some of the other NERTs down at the Armsby Abbey for a fantastic brunch. If you like fine food and beer, I highly recommend checking them out!

For the better part of this week, my stomach was unstable. My achilles tendon and calf continue to bark now and again. I really need to focus more on stretching, especially after the long runs. I opted to skip the ice bath on Sunday, and I was feeling it in the calf today. Right now, I've got my foot plunged into an icy bucket, and I'm enjoying a nice beer. Not a bad way to spend a Monday night for a distance runner.

A couple links this week -

First - if you haven't already, you need to go check out what my friend Doug is doing for Children's Hospital Boston. Less than a week left until the Virtual 36k Challenge. Challenge him in a 5k, 10k, or half-marathon, and help raise money for a fantastic cause at the same time.

Second - if you're a Dailymiler that rocks a headband, you might be interested in showing your DM spirit and helping the Special Olympics by purchasing a custom Dailymile Bondi Band. All proceeds go to charity.

Lastly, as the warmer weather approaches, I am getting antsy for some trail running. Here's another one of those xtranormal clips.

People often ask, why is that guy so awesome? Because he is a trail runner!



Until next week: run, run, run.

1 comment:

  1. nice video :) LOL
    ps- I've nominated you for stylish blogger awarD!!.. forgot to tell you the other day :o) see my post from tuesday the 15th :)

    ReplyDelete