Sunday, June 12, 2011

Week in Review

Sixteen weeks from now, in the mountains of Vermont is a 50 mile race. Running a race of this distance requires some kind of plan, right? I've reviewed a handful of different plans online, from the Ultimate Ultramarathon Plan to the Mountain Masochist program. I've gotten plans used successfully by other runners for this very race. The most important aspect that each of these plans stress is time-on-feet. I'd like to say that I've a concrete plan in place, but the truth is that I've got a spreadsheet thrown together as a guideline and I'm going to take it slow and see how it goes.

This first week I wanted to get to around 40 miles and reintroduce sunrise runs in the middle of the week.


On Saturday morning, I had a great time sloshing around in the Merrell Trail Gloves in the rain. That afternoon, my brother came up for a visit. We visited the local running shop and then hit the trails. I picked up a pair of Montrail Rogue Racers and wanted to give them a try and he wanted to see some of the spots by the river.

Sunday morning I got out again in the rogue racers again and took the path less traveled. Had a blast.

The Numbers
Distance: 40.11mi
Time: 06:45:38
Elevation Gain/Loss: 2469/2579

In other news, I've been continuing on with the 100-pushups program. At this point I'm repeating week 5 until it feels easy. I'm doing this MWF. The other days I've been hitting core. Starting to notice a difference in both upper body strength / definition and in my posture while running. I've also switched back to low(er) carb eating and I've dropped around 5-6 lbs which is a step back down to where I want to be.

Perhaps the oddest bit for me is Monday and Friday rest days. May have to add in some biking to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment