Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Trigger: Pulled

Ummm...

I got this e-mail last night.
Dear Adam,
Congratulations! You are now registered for Vermont 50 Mt Bike or Ultra Run

What did I just do? :)

How Did We Get Here

Remember that test from last weekend? Yeah, I passed with flying colors. My plan to run around the reservoir was shot down when I visited the deli along the route, that I was counting on being open, and learned that they would not be available during the hours I had planned. So, it was to the backup plan - an aid station simulation.

I ran a couple of these last year, and the basic idea is to mimic the distances between the aid stations in Vermont. I setup an "aid station" in my kitchen when I got up at 4:30 AM on Saturday morning, had some water and a piece of toast, and prepared to head out.

Splits
I actually had that last split wrong. It is 4.4 and not 4.2. This gets me to "Margaritaville" in Vermont - a total distance of 27.4 miles or so. The asterisk is to denote "bonus". I figured if I got to around 23 or so, I'd be feeling good, I'd at least go for the marathon if not the whole distance.

My primary fuel
If you want to read about the splits, I logged it on dailymile here. I took my time, played with different run/walk strategies, and had a great marathon distance training run. Afterwards, I had an ice bath, hot shower, and headed out to my nephew's second birthday party, where I ate and drank and ran around and had a blast. I thought for sure I'd be hurting Sunday.

But... I wasn't. I went out and ran another ten miles on Sunday. My legs were (still are) a little tired, but not anything unexpected for having run 36 miles in less than 24 hours. Since then, I've gone on a few more runs and my body is responding in a way I am honestly surprised by.

I may be crossing the threshold and entering into the "lean mean mountain running machine" territory I've been striving to get to.

So, I pulled the trigger.

Now all I've got to do is stay healthy and show up September 30th at Ascutney and RUN 50 MILES. Whether or not I make it this year, if there is one thing I learned from last year's experience - it'll be a Bucket Filler.

Yeah, I just might be mad. But then again, all the best of us are.

Until next time - run, run, run.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to show that trail who is boss, Adam! So, so, so excited for you! I am jumping up and down right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear all about it! Anna W. from DM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It is going to be an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Now I just need to put some more hay in the barn, stay healthy, show up and run 50 miles. :)

    ReplyDelete